Recently I read an amazing post by Nic from A Spectacular Life where she wrote an incredible letter to her younger self. Both Nic’s post and the latest Youtube initiative #DearMe has prompted me to think about what advice would I give my younger self.
First of all, I truly believe that everything that has ever happened to me has led me to exactly where I am today.
So if I could go back in time, and do it all again I really don’t think I would do anything differently.
I think regretting the past is a waste of energy.
In saying that though, reflecting on the past can really help you realise that it really did lead you to where you are today.
And you can learn a lot from that.
As Steve Jobs said:
By looking back on my life and connecting the dots I decided that if I could travel back in time I would definitely want to give my younger self some advice.
So here are the 23 nuggets of wisdom I would want to share with my younger self.
1. You are infinite. You have the power to do anything you want. You have limitless possibilities and infinite potential.
2. Embrace that everything is impermanent. And nothing will ever seem as bad ever again.
3. Be kinder to everyone. You really don’t know what anyone else is going through. Be kind to unkind people too – they need it the most.
4. It’s okay to make mistakes. So let yourself screw up. One day you will look back and realise you learnt way more from your mistakes than when things when the way you wanted them to.
5. You are the average of the people you spend the most time with. So choose the people you surround yourself with very wisely.
6. The fear of doing anything is far worse than actually doing it. That monkey mind of yours will hold you back from so much – so don’t let it.
8. Don’t take anything personally. Most of the time it’s probably not even about you. Realise that everyone lives in their own subjective reality.
9. Let go of anything that does not serve you. If it doesn’t matter get rid of it. If it doesn’t make you happy don’t do it. Simplify.
10. Listening is far more powerful than talking. So start practicing now. Holding space for other people is far more incredible than talking for the sake of it.
11. The way you feel all the time is not normal – it’s anxiety. When you realise this, start working on it and get help your life will be so much easier. I promise.
12. Don’t worry about what other people think. What you think of yourself is far more important than what other people think of you.
13. Have more fun! Because that’s what life is for.
14. You always have a choice. If you cannot change something you can always change your perspective of something. This will empower you.
15. Quit sugar (most of the time!). It will make your life so much better. Oh and you will stop getting frequent blackouts – bonus!
16. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Because amazing things will happen when you do.
17. Stop comparing yourself to others. Because there is no one alive who is quite like you so instead just…
18. Be the best version of yourself. You owe it to yourself to be your best self.
19. Worry less. Seriously everything will work out. It always does.
20. Don’t be so hard on yourself. You really are doing the best you can.
21. Things may not work out exactly as you have planned. And you know what – that is totally okay. Because it will be even better than you could possible imagine.
22. Everything you need is already there inside you. You aren’t broken. You don’t need fixing.
23. You are enough. Just the way you are. Actually you are more than enough – you are infinite!
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson.
Now over to you incredible human… What advice would you share with your younger self? I would love to know so let me know in the comments below.
Enter your details below to get access to The Infinite Collection — a FREE mini library of resources especially for you, including a copy of my eBook Infinite: Take your life to the next level and beyond!
Plus you’ll also receive super exclusive content from me a couple of times a month, including personal stories and insights, behind-the-scenes peeks (that I don’t share anywhere else!) and lots more.